Have you ever wondered what to do with those over ripe bananas? When their skin turns black and flesh is very sweet but starting to get mushy? Well, in my kitchen I turn them into a banana cake. You need a bit of a background story to explain why I made this dessert. Last week Becky and I decided that we need to replace our old fridge. It served us well but it was about to give ghost. We ordered a brand new fridge freezer and paid to have the old device recycled. However the new unit arrived damaged and we had to wait another 5 days for replacement! The old fridge was gone so our fruit and veg had to live in the garage in a meantime. Our family survived but bananas nearly didn’t. Since I really don’t like wasting food I decided to use the very ripe bananas to make a cake. As it was mid week I needed a quick recipe. This microwave banana cake is a perfect solution for such occasion. It takes about 20 minutes to prepare and produces a wonderfully moist banana flavoured cake.
Serves 6 portions
Equipment required: 1 litre ovenproof dish
- 2 very ripe bananas + another one for decoration
- 100g unsalted butter
- 100g self rising flour
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tblsp milk
- 1 tblsp cinnamon
- 2 tblsp dark rum
- Place the butter in the ovenproof dish and heat in a microwave for about 40 – 50 seconds on high until melted. Set aside.
- Put the flour, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Make dip in a middle a break in both eggs.
- Add milk and rum and start mixing with a large whisk drawing four mixture from the sides. Continue whisking until you end up with a thick paste.
- Transfer melted butter from the ovenproof dish to the bowl and continue whisking until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Cut 2 bananas into large chunks, place in the ovenproof dish and mash thoroughly with a fork.
- Add mashed banana into the cake mix and stir well until it is distributed evenly in a cake mix.
- Pour in the cake mix into the ovenproof dish. Decorate the top with slices of the third banana.
- Place in the middle of the microwave oven and cook on high for 8 minutes until cooked through and risen.
- Remove from the microwave and set aside for few minutes to cool down.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
When the cake cools down completely you can wrap it in a cling film and keep in the fridge for couple of day. When you are ready to serve simple re heat individual portions in a microwave for about 30 – 40 seconds before serving. Not that I expect you to have any leftovers though.
How do you use over ripe bananas? What is your preferred way of using this ingredient?