What do you do when your pregnant wife has a cake craving and you need to act fast? You make a super quick microwave sponge in a mug and serve with some cream and fruits. Obviously! I know it will not replace properly baked sponge cake but if you need to make a quick dessert this is just perfect solution. It is so simple you can make it almost anywhere as long as you have a large ceramic mug and access to microwave oven.
Makes one large portion
- 4 tblsp self raising flour
- 4 tblsp caster sugar
- 1 heaped tsp fine instant coffee (alternatively 2 tblsp cocoa powder or 1 heaped tblsp instant hot chocolate or any flavouring of your choice)
- 1 egg
- 3 tblsp milk
- 3 tblsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- Couple of drops of vanilla essence (or other essence of your choice)
- 2 tblsp chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, sultanas etc. (optional)
- Add flour, sugar and coffee to a large mug and mix.
- Break in the egg and mix with the dry ingredients as much as you can.
- Add in the milk, oil and essence and mix well until smooth. Add the chocolate chips, nuts or raisins if using and mix again.
- Cook in the middle of the microwave oven on high for 1½ – 2 minutes, until the cake has stopped rising and is firm to touch.
Serve with selection of fresh fruits, berries and cream.