This a quick version of a delicious runny custard sauce also known as crème anglaise. It makes perfect accompaniment to various desserts. It works with fruit crumbles, cakes or even poured over ice cream and berries.
- 290g full fat milk
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tblsp caster sugar
- Heat the milk and vanilla essence in a pan over medium hear and slowly bring to boil. Take off the heat immediately and set aside to cool down a bit.
- Whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale. Pour the warm milk on to the beaten yolks, stirring steadily. Mix well and return to the same rinsed-out pan.
- Put the pan over the low heat stirring the mixture continuously. Simmer until the sauce thickens sufficiently to cover the back of a spoon (about 5 – 10 minutes). Make sure it does not boil!
- Strain into a sauce boat and cover with cling film. Allow to cool.
- Serve when ready with your favourite dessert.
Tip: If you like your sauce on a thicker side add 1/2 teasp to the eggs in point 2.