The National Vegetarian Week (15 – 21 May) is coming to an end so I thought I’ll finish with a nice vegetarian dish to celebrate. Who doesn’t like pasta? Combine it with mushrooms, leeks, mascarpone and add a touch of heat from cayenne pepper and you get a perfect comfort food. This dish is one of Becky’s all time favourites. And what is even better it takes about 30 minutes tops to prepare!
This recipe serves 4. It is inspired by Gino D’Acampo’s recipe.
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 250g of mushrooms sliced
- 2 leeks sliced 0.5cm thick
- 250g tub of mascarpone cheese
- 500g of dried fusilli pasta
- 1 tblsp of olive oil
- 30g of salted butter
- 4 pinches of cayenne pepper
- Bunch of chopped chives to garnish
- Brig a large pan of water to rapid boil and add pasta. Cook according to instructions until al dente. Depending on the producer it should usually take 10 – 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put a large frying pan on a medium heat. Add oil and butter.
- When fats are pre heated add chopped garlic, mushrooms and leeks.
- Cook for around 5 minutes stirring occasionally until the ingredients are soften and mushrooms changed colour. Do not overcook it as you don’t want leeks to go too mushy.
- Add mascarpone cheese and cayenne pepper to the pan. Cook stirring for another 1 minute until the cheese is combined with the other ingredients and you have a nice creamy sauce on the pan. Season to taste.
- When the sauce starts to boil take off the heat and set aside.
- Drain the pasta and return to the same pan.
- Add sauce to the pasta and mix until all ingredients are combined. Season to taste.
- Divide the pasta between 4 dishes, garnish with chopped chives and serve.