Some say that breakfast is the most important meal of a day. So I decided to kick off my blog with a breakfast recipe. Usually me and my wife have a healthy, nutritious breakfasts; something that can kick start your metabolism and sets you for a day. However, from time to time you just want to indulge yourself. I must admit that for quite a while I fancied having American style pancakes for a breakkie. When we were doing food shopping I spotted a big tray of lovely looking blueberries and decided that on Sunday we are going to have pancakes. I wanted to prepare something special and different than your usual pancakes. So I did some research and got my inspirations from Mary Berry and Gino D’acampo recipes but added my own twist. I must confess that my wife loved it so I hope you will too. Here is how it happened.
Ingredients (makes about 15 pancakes):
250g of self raising flour
1 & ½ teaspoon of baking powder
40g of caster sugar
60g of muscovado brown sugar
250ml of milk
3 eggs separated
50g of sour cream
Unsalted butter to grease the pan
For the topping:
Tray of blueberries
1 banana sliced
Greek yoghurt (or thick cream if you feeling really naughty)
- Gently heat the milk in a small saucepan and stir in sugars until dissolved. Do not boil. Set aside to cool down.
- In the meantime sift the flour and baking powder into a big bowl. Separate eggs and add yolks to the flour mix. Leave egg whites in another mixing bowl.
- Add lukewarm milk to the bowl with flour and eggs and mix to create thick batter. Stir in the sour cream. Leave to rest for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime whisk egg whites until the foam starts to create peaks.
- Gently fold the whisked egg whites into the batter until fully incorporates. You should end up with a reasonably thick but airy batter, brownish in colour.
- Grease a non stick frying pan with the butter and put on a low heat.
- When the pan is heated ladle in the batter to form pancakes about 8 – 10cm in diameter. Fry for about 2 – 3 minutes on one side or until the surface appears bubbly. Flip over and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Stack cooked pancakes on a warmed plate and repeat the process until all the batter is used.
- Serve garnished with blueberries, sliced bananas spoonful of Greek yoghurt and maple syrup.
So if you feel like you want to treat yourself or maybe you want to make that extra naughty and indulging breakfast for your loved ones this is the one for you.